Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bizzaro world

So let me get this straight. 6.1% unemployment, increased poverty, $600 billion deficits, and widespread Wall Street corruption (and the assocaited fallout on our portfolios) aren't a big deal, and the same policies that got us into it are the ones to get us out of it.

Asking questions about a female candidate's views and management abilities is sexism, finding irony in promoting abstinence-only education and the resulting pregnancy of a teenage daughter is "off-limits", and calling the promotion of these same awful ideas with a different packaging "lipstick on a pig" is somehow a personal attack? But ripping on the choice of millions of Americans to do social service work over prostituting themselves to the highest bidder is perfectly fine, and supposed to be proof that "those do-gooders" don't get it?

And people are falling for this crap?

And the ridiculousness of the GOPpers would be a mere annoyance if there wasn't a real threat of people being stupid enough to believe this bullshit. You wonder why me and a lot of others in our mid-30s see no point in trying hard, because if these folks are allowed to succeed, it proves the game is fixed, and not worth participating in.

In addition, I'm watching the Brewers choke their way out of the playoffs AGAIN, losing 7 of 9, including 4 of 6 the freaking Reds and Padres. I'm not even panicking as much as I am totally disgusted, so maybe that's carrying over into my political views. It's almost not worth it for me to keep up with the Crew, even if they make it.

Amazing how a lot of these fears and angers go away when I'm drinking with friends. Maybe there's a point to that which I need to follow. Ah, who am I kidding, OF COURSE that's the point. Sports and beer is real, politics and economics are not, and maybe that needs to be the attitude I should take for the next 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment